Monday, February 1, 2010

Breakthrough Day?

I had two very informative conversations today. I will give more details later, but here are the juiciest nuggets from each conversation. I work with a PhD patent attorney, and I had a conversation with her today about what it means to have a PhD as a patent attorney. I asked her if having a PhD was an advantage. She went on to give me an example of how a PhD was an advantage in law school, getting a job, and working with clients. I also talked to a career services rep at Mason. While the entire conversation is worth discussing, the most telling exchange came when I asked her about OCI for IP firms. Every year people tell her that they wish they had studied science. IP is in demand, but a good number of the people in the IP program are already working and don't want to leave their job for a summer associate position.

Both conversations were very informative. I will try to distill the best insights from each and share them here in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment