Saturday, August 29, 2009

More on U of R visit

Here a few things I forgot to note in my previous post about my visit to Richmond Law.

1) If my GPA is being trumped by what I've done since undergrad, that means that I really need to make sure my resume captures my industry and graduate school experience. As I have finally had some success with my personal statement, I will start focusing on my resume. I have one now, but I think it could be better. (As a side note, I was reading a TLS forum about resume length. Don't worry about length and focus on content people! Although I have to agree with a few of the replies. Nobody in or right out of college should have a resume longer than a page.)

2) I tested my personal statement topic on the admissions rep I spoke to yesterday. She seemed intrigued. Of course I didn't say, this is what I'm writing about in my personal statement, but when I gave her my business card and she saw that I have a PhD and I work for a pharmaceutical company, she asked me if I was interested in IP. I gave her my motivation for law school (which I discussed here). IP is definitely a key component of my plan, but that's not the whole story. She seemed genuinely interested.

3) I could really feel that I am a decade older than most of the people who were in that class with me yesterday. I hadn't thought about it much before, but it will be weird to be in class with people who are so much younger.

4) I really liked the school. It has a very collegial atmosphere. With everything so centralized, it definitely feels like a community. It's on the main U of R campus, which is very nice by the way, but it's on the edge. It's not like you're in the hustle and bustle of the heart of campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment