Sunday, August 16, 2009

WE? How about CE!

I was skimming through the TLS forums again this afternoon and came across a post about the perceived value of work experience. I say perceived because the more of these things I read, the more I realize that these people really have no idea what the hell they're talking about. If you've been working some entry level job at some office job, that experience really won't be worth much. But if you've been out of school for 10+ years and have held positions with some real responsibility, how can something like that not be taken into account during the application review? Every applicant and every situation is different. How can you make a post about there is no value to work experience when you are not aware of the nature and extent of that experience for every applicant? While it is likely that a job like mine won't get me into Harvard, my experience has to be considered given that my GPA was established a decade ago. For somebody a year or two out of school, work experience probably won't count for much because they haven't done anything in their career. Let's just agree with the TLS post and say that work experience doesn't mean much. Career experience does matter. If it doesn't, this whole law school application carnival should just be junked for a webpage where you enter your GPA and LSAT score.

No comments:

Post a Comment