Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Grade Breakdown

My undergraduate GPA is a lowly 3.05. I was just taking a look at my transcript to see if writing an addendum might be a good idea. I had a very pathetic sophomore year. I torn my ACL during football practice that year. I lived in an off campus apartment. I couldn't study in my apartment, it was hard for me to get to campus (I hurt my left knee and my car was a stick shift), and I just generally wasn't into my studies that year (I met my wife that year so my personal life was great). I'm torn about whether or not I should write a short note explaining that circumstance. (Both semesters were in the 2.5 range.) My GPA for the other three years comes out to a 3.2 or so. Still not great but better than a 3.05. On a positive note, I managed to get a 3.7 in my final semester. I think a short note would explain the dip in my grades, but how much will it really matter?

I've been out of college for 11 years and how relevant are undergraduate grades in chemistry for a person who now has a PhD in that subject? (I would get an A in every one of those classes now.) I don't want to draw attention to my grades when some schools might not put too much credence in those grades in the first place. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do.

I also thought about calculating my GPA in classes that required significant writing assignments. My best grades are in those classes, but when I honestly calculated a GPA with the classes that I remember writing long papers, the GPA wasn't all that great either. So much for that tactic. Maybe a short sentence noting that I did well in writing intensive classes will suffice. Although writing this post has shown me that all of these arguments are pretty weak. Maybe a comment that I injured my knee and that will be that.

No comments:

Post a Comment