Thursday, December 10, 2009

Uncertain

Having concluded my three part attempt to convince myself that my PhD will be more than three letters on my resume in my post-research life, I was hoping to have something new to write about on the admissions front this evening. People who occupy my region of the LSN graphs have been getting accepted at Minnesota and WashU at a pretty good clip in the last few days. I make a conscious effort to avoid reading anything into the order of admissions decisions, but knowing that I could hear something soon makes my heart speed up just a little bit every time I check my email (which if frequent) or get a call on my cell phone (which is rare). All of this uncertainty is trying my nerves.

I'm still not certain making the move to law school is the 100% right move for me. You would think that I am fully on board with the idea of leaving my job and attending law school, I have gone to the trouble of taking the LSAT and writing a personal statement (the difficulties of which I have chronicled in this blog) after all, but I am still conflicted on the wisdom of this decision. I know I can succeed in law school and as a lawyer, but it is the best move for me right now?

I've discussed my motivation for law school, but my thinking has continued to evolve in the months since I wrote that post. Now that I have been accepted by the two schools that I wanted the most, Richmond and W&M, I have been working through the reality of attending law school. My last few posts hint at my fears. The job market for lawyers is really in the toilet. There seems to be a consensus that IP lawyers are more marketable than the average lawyer, but that is not enough to allay all of my fears. Good grades will help me get a job, but there is no guarantee that I will be at the top of my class. While I think I would be a very good law student (and lawyer, of course), who knows what will happen once I'm actually in school.

The next few weeks should be telling. Acceptances, stuff at work, things should be coming to a crescendo quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment