Friday, September 4, 2009

Sample Set - Take 3

I've been reconsidering which schools will get my application. My thinking has been based on two factors: 1) How much money I want to spend on my applications, and 2) How much more time I want to spend on personal statements and other essays. Schools that I considered applying to but left off my original list have waived their application fee. This makes the application decision a no-brainer for W&L and Illinois (especially in light of Dean Press's comments about the value of a Ph.D. and work experience).

Notre Dame and UCLA are off of my list. I just don't see myself at either school. I'm on the fence about Duke and Vanderbilt. I would like to apply to both, I'm just not sure if I want to spend the money. I'm also not sure about the additional essays. I just don't know if I have a "Why Duke" essay in me. I know why I want to apply. It fits right in with my motivation for law school, but after spending a couple of months on my personal statements (I have three that are very close to being finished), I just don't know if I want to write another essay. I'm going to take a look at their website and see what I can find to link my interests with their program. Regardless of how well I can write that essay, there is still the issue of paying the application fee. I know the fee waivers for Duke and Vanderbilt have gone out, and, no surprise, I have not gotten one to either school. I would really like to take a shot, but do I want to spend $150+ to find out if I'll be admitted?

So here is my revised school list. I'll think about whether or not I want to apply to Duke and Vandy in the next week or two. I would guess that I may apply to one. It's pretty likely that I'll drop one of them. I need to look into both a little more before I make a firm decision one way or the other.

School "Percentile" Prediction
Duke 5.9 Deny
UVA 1.0 Deny
Vandy 11.8 Deny
Minn 31.3 Weak Consider
Illinois 51.8 Consider
W&M 34.1 Weak Consider
GMU 47.1 Consider
W&L 53.2 Consider
Cinncinnatti >50 Strong Consider
Tennessee >50 Admit
Lewis and Clark >50 Strong Consider
Richmond >50 Admit

I've replaced to schools where my numbers have me as an auto-rejection with two considers. A quick look at Law School Numbers tells me that I have a very good shot at the new additions. My numbers definitely have me out at Duke, but I could be in the waitlist range at Vanderbilt. Will the Ph.D. get me an admit? It's still early. We'll see how things go for me in the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment