Sunday, November 22, 2009

Snail Mail Surprises

This weekend has seen two unusual and unexpected pieces of mail show up in my mailbox. On Thursday I received an envelope with something thick and sturdy inside. It was an issue of the Alabama Law Review with a hand written note from Page, the very nice lady who called to tell me that I had been accepted by Alabama. With my outstanding credentials, they thought I might be interested in one of their four journals. Maybe this was prompted by my graduate school publications. There has been no word of other accepted students getting a copy of the Alabama Law Review on TLS. It's an interesting and intriguing recruiting technique. I haven't thought much about law journals while in graduate school, but it is likely something that I will pursue. This mailing has me thinking about it a little more seriously now.

I got a small envelope from Indiana-Bloomington on Saturday. They sent a note telling me that I have been given a fee waiver and a small brochure about the school. I was immediately intrigued, but I wasn't sure if I should apply. I knew that Indiana was the highest ranked school with a "strong consider" prediction for me on LSP. While seeing if my PhD would give me an edge in admissions was not really in play for IU, looking through the brochure gave me a very good reason to apply. Aid awards are based on the usual LSAT and GPA, as well as leadership potential, work experience, contribution to class diversity, and other factors indicating success in the profession of law. I took a look at last years graph for IU on LSN. There were some nice aid packages given to people with numbers very similar to mine. I have already submitted my application. We'll see if they give me a similar scholarship package.

No comments:

Post a Comment