Monday, November 2, 2009

UVA Applicant Profile

My assertion that I will be on the accept/reject borderline at UVA is not just wishful thinking. I have three reasons for feeling this way. One, my LSAT score is competitive. It's a little below the median, but it's definitely in the competitive range. Two, I am a Virginia resident. This could be a significant factor in the evaluation of my application. Three, UVA's applicant profile in the official ABA guide to law schools. (Use this link to access a list of schools, click on the school, click on the Law School Description, and scroll to the bottom to see the applicant profile.)

This is most of UVA's applicant profile. After stating that they use more than LSAT and GPA to make admissions decisions, they provide this information:

Each applicant is assessed as an individual, taking into account not only LSAT scores and undergraduate grades, but also the strength of an applicant’s undergraduate
or graduate curriculum, trends in grades, the maturing effect of experiences since college, the nature and quality of any work experience, significant achievement in extracurricular activities, service in the military, contributions to campus or community through service and leadership, and personal qualities. (Click here to see the entire profile)

I take them at their word. In looking through these attributes, I think I will get a little positive credit for curriculum strength, maturing effect of experiences since college, and work experience. All of those individual factors don't mean much by themselves, but taken together, they could really make a difference to my application. In any event, that's why I think I'm on the fence.

1 comment:

  1. I can personally attest to the fact that UVA does evaulate applicants rather holistically and also is more willing that some law school to take splitters (high LSAT/low GPA) and reverse-splitters (low LSAT/high GPA).

    Good luck with your UVA decision!

    Evan Didier
    Law School Predictor

    ReplyDelete