Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Song Remains the Same

I ran over to VCU to get my fee waiver from U of R during my lunch break this afternoon. While I was waiting for some people to leave the table, I talked to one of the other reps about her law school. I gave her my story, PhD, mediocre undergrad grades, and career experience. She gave me the same feedback that I've gotten from other sources. She reassured me that my grades are not bad. They look at how my grades stack up against the rest of my class (I'm average) and they also know that laboratory science GPA's are typically a little lower than those of people who majored in the humanities. She pointed out that science majors tend to spend more time in the classroom (absolutely, especially with the labs). The distance between now and then makes my grades less meaningful in their evaluation of my application. This puts much more emphasis on my LSAT score. When I told her my score was a 168, she let me know that I will have some very nice options for law school. As I was filling out an information card, she told that, based on her experience, her colleagues in admissions like applicants like and I should be ambitious with my applications.

With that, I picked up my U of R fee waiver and left. I really wanted to talk to the UNC rep, but there was a crowd at the table the entire time I was in the room. I also asked the William and Mary rep a question about their application. They ask for an employment history in the application. I asked if it would be ok to just refer to my attached resume. Yes, that is an acceptable (and preferred) way to submit my employment history. I stopped by on my way to the U of R table from my conversation with the other rep about my situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment