Saturday, October 24, 2009

Law Schools want to see direction?

I have applied to most of the schools on my list (see my LSN profile for the details), but I have not pulled the trigger on UVA and Vanderbilt. There are two reasons for this. One, my aforementioned reluctance to pay the Vandy application fee. I have sent them an email seeing if they will give me a fee waiver. I have also been thinking over my decision to forego mentioning why I am applying to law school in my personal statement. I think I need to say something about it in my application, and an interview with Ann Levine (author of my law school admissions guidebook) has reinforced that thinking.

She was interviewed by some students at Fordham, and she mentioned that law schools are looking for direction in applicants. While I am clearly not the unemployed undergrad with nothing better to do with 3 years and $150,000 that she was talking about, I still think I need to tell law schools why I'm leaving my well paying job with good prospects to pursue a JD. I have added a paragraph to my main PS that gets at my key motivations for law school. If I reread it an don't like it, I'll just submit my original, but if I think it helps my case, I'll go forward with it in my application.

No comments:

Post a Comment